Aug 30, 2009

Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread


I love making short bread. What's nat to love? Is easy to make, fast, fewer ingredients need it and usually I have everything on hand. If you are frequent reader or a follower of my blog you probably know that I love lemon, I incorporate lemon in almost everything (I can get away with). Those bars are buttery, lemony and the poppy seeds add a great crunch and attractive look. An easy dessert served with your afternoon tea.

Ingredients

1 cup.................................... unsalted butter softened ( 250 ml, or 2 sticks )
1 cup ................................... icing sugar sifted
2 cups ................................ all-purpose flour ( sifted)
2 tbsp ................................ poppy seeds
2 tbsp ............................... grated lemon zest
1 tbsp ............................... freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp .............................. granulated sugar to sprinkle

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Prepare an 9 inch square baking pan ungreased.

In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy.


Add flour,poppy seeds, lemon zest, lemon juice and mix well.


Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan. I used the back of an sturdy plastic spatula. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar.


Bake into the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown around the edges. Cut wile still warm. Let cool completely in pan. Recut if necessary.

Serve with a cup of your favorite tea.

Enjoy!


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
they look so yummmmmmy.me too i like anything lemony.this is going in my do list.thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.

Laura said...

Hi Rekha,
I know poppy seeds are on your "favorite" list I didn't know about lemon.

Cookin' Canuck said...

These look like a perfect teatime cookie. And so easy!

Laura said...

Thanks Cookin' Canuck,
It is so easy to make but the bars are delicious.

Momo said...

arata minunat,in moldova nu prea se fac prajituri cu mac,dar asta a ta chiar ma convinge,fiindca se face repede,cu serviciu si pitic timpul e cam ...comprimat!te pup,o sapatamina usoara si frumoasa1

Sarah said...

Cannot wait to try this - love lemon, poppyseed anything! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

this looks really good. i love just about anything that is lemony. im gonna try the herb bread ring tonight.

Laura said...

La noi ( in Arad) se fac cozonaci cu mac de sarbatori. dar aceasta prajitura este de aici din North America.
I'mi place ca este rapida si trebuiesc multe ingrediente la ea. Te pup si o spor la lucru saptamina aceasta.

Laura said...

Hi Sarah,
I love the combination of poppy seeds and lemon also.

Laura said...

Hi Sabrina,
Let me know how the herb ring comes out.

Connie K said...

This looks so yummy will have to try ! Thanks :)
http://conniekhuzaie.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

Thanks Connie.

tata | bonitafood said...

Hi, Laura. I'm ur new Foodbuzz buddie. Wow, your shortbread look so pretty with Poppy Seed. I love lemon too, sure they gave the sense of freshness to your bread.

Cheers,

Tata

Laura said...

Hi tatabonita,
thank you for visiting, and I agree with you, lemon makes everything better

Momo said...

gata,executata azi!dar am adaugat ou si nitel praf de copt,deasupra am presarat zahar brun...ce sa-ti spun,o minunatie,pufoasa si foarte aromata!merci!

Laura said...

Cu multa placere Alison. Tu ai facut-o ca si prajitura ca shortbread e mai mult ca si biscuiti.

Simply Life said...

Yum! That looks like the perfect dessert!

Table Talk said...

My daughter loves lemon poppy seed muffins---we will make these together; I'm sure they are delicious!

Laura said...

I hope she is going to like those too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails