Aug 2, 2009

Raspberry Ice Cream


Friday we went raspberry picking at a close by berry farm. Everybody had so much fun. Yesterday I made the jam (18 jars) I'm so happy, my boys love this jam and the fact that I can control how much sugar goes in it makes me very happy.
Anyway, the lady at the berry farm had a great recipe for home made ice cream it actually appeared in the local paper next to the directions to the farm. I just had to try it.
I think is the best raspberry ice cream I ever had. Good think I made triple the recipe not that it will last to long. The only thing I changed was the amount of sugar ( love that I can control that).
This is the original recipe with the full amount of sugar ( as I said I made triple the recipe)


Ingredients:

1 pint fresh raspberries ( about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups sugar ( I just used 1 cup)
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 large eggs
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1 cup milk.

In a large mixing bowl mix the raspberries with 1/3 cup of sugar (from the total of 1 1/2 cups),and the lemon juice, refrigerate for about 2 hours stirring every half hour or so.


In a large mixing bowl whisk the eggs until light and fluffy ( I used a mixer ) add the remaining sugar a little at the time whisking until completely blended.

Pour in the milk and heavy cream and mix to blend.
Drain the juice from the raspberry mixture in the egg and cream mixture and mix well.
Using a fork or a hand blender purée the raspberries and add to the egg and milk mixture.
Stir to blend well.



Here the recipe calls for an ice cream maker. I don't have one. If you have one then use it according the manufacturing instructions, if not, those are my instructions.

Line a baking pan with plastic wrapper. Because I made triple the recipe I needed three of them. If you like it to be like the head picture then use a bread loaf baking pan. The other ones the more shallow ones have the advantage of freezing faster.



I had used two shallow ones as well as the bread loaf pan.


Freeze over knight. Serve with fresh raspberries, or with any topping you like ( chocolate is especially delicious)


Enjoy!

22 comments:

Think With Your Taste Buds - Chicken said...

I'm not a raspberry lover but I bet this would be just as good with strawberries. This is one I will give a try.
Thank you
Martha

Laura said...

Hi Mac,
It would work with any berry. Strawberry I think would be delicious they are so aromatic.

Jessie said...

yumm! I have to make this, I do not have an ice cream maker as well and I feel better knowing that you do not need one to make ice cream!

Laura said...

I've been making ice cream for some time without an ice cream maker, and I don't plan on getting one.

Janice said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I've been wanting to make homemade ice cream for a while but I didn't want to commit to buying an ice cream machine just yet. I love how you can just freeze this recipe in the freezer overnight.

-Janice
www.filipinalovesfood.com

Laura said...

Hello Janice,
It is so easy to make ice cream without an ice cream maker. It not about the money that I won't buy one is more about the space,( although I have a big kitchen), they are pretty bulky. The fact is you don't really need one. Ice cream and gelato can be made using the freezer.

Cooking with tien said...

I was wondering how you made the ice cream without an ice cream maker. Well done. -Tien

Laura said...

Thank you Tien,
It's not very complicated.

I love tastes said...

Yumm... your raspberry ice cream looks very nice and quite simple to make and I'm craving raspberry ice cream now! I think it would make a nice filling for a summer ice cream cake too! Glad you had fun in the berry farm!

Laura said...

It would make a great filling for a summer cake. I'm thinking zucotto. In combination with chocolate ice cream. Delicious.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
it looks so yummy.iam glad you guys had a good time at the farm.shld try it with stawberries.thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.

Laura said...

Hello Rekha,
Alex really loved it at the farm.And the ice cream would taste delicious in strawberry flavor.

janet said...

Mmm, love raspberries. That looks amazing. And I'm jealous, there's no place nearby where we can pick raspberries!

Laura said...

thanks Janet,
We are lucky to have several farms near by, a few of them are berry farms.

Leslie said...

This is lovely. You've inspired me to go get some raspberries tomorrow :)

Laura said...

thank you Leslie,
Are you going to a farm for the raspberries?

cheapappetite said...

Nice post:0) Just wondering if the ice cream texture would be coarser if you don't use the ice cream machine? Or it's about the same?

Karine said...

18 jars of jam? Wowow! I love the pinky color of your ice cream!

Laura said...

Hello cheapappetite.
Yes the ice cream is a bit coarser, I did want for the ice cream to hold it's shape when turn onto serving plate.
But it easy to achieve a smoother texture the trick is in the first two hours to stir in the ice cream every 30 minutes to break the ice crystals.4 to 5 times in two hours, then let it freeze over night. Before serving let stand in the fridge for 30 minuted and thet will ensure
that you can scoop ice cream with an ice cream scoop.

Laura said...

Hello Karine,
Yes 18 jars I'm very happy. I know the color is amazing hot pink I love it too.

Diana Bauman said...

Great post! I love that you froze this instead of using a machine. The color is beautiful. Can't wait to go berry picking!!

Laura said...

Hello Diana,
Yes, no need for an ice cream machine. I love the color too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails