Aug 12, 2009

Double Granola Bars


Double granola bars, means double the flavor and nutrition in every bite. Those are great for snack, breakfast on the go or for lunch box.
The top layer ingredients could be change to suite your taste. My little one always chooses what kind of dried fruit goes in.
The bars keep well stored in cool dry place for up to 2 weeks. Like always I made double the recipe but I'm going to list the quantities for the original recipe. I made some changes into mine that I will list in brackets. This recipe comes from Bars and Squares book by Jill Snider.

Ingredients.

Crust:

1/2 cup....... whole wheat flour ( I used only 1/3 cup and I added 3 tbsp of organic oat bran)
1/3 cup....... quick cooking rolled oats
1/4 cup....... ground almonds
3 tbsp......... packed brown sugar ( I used raw sugar)
1/4 tsp....... baking powder
3 tbsp ....... butter melted

Topping:

1/4 cup...... butter melted
2 tbsp........ packed brown sugar ( I used raw sugar)
2 tbsp........ liquid honey ( I used pure lavender honey)
1/2 cup...... quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup...... silvered almonds ( or you can use chopped almonds. I used half of silvered almonds half raw cashews )
1/2 cup...... unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup...... pumpkin seeds ( I used flax seeds)
1/3 cup...... chopped mango ( I used dried cherries )
2 tbsp ....... sesame seeds


Preheat the oven to 325˚F. grease a 8 inch square pan.

For the crust

In a large mixing bowl mix all the ingredients for the crust.


Press well using an offset spatula or a flat one. Make sure the crust is well press. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until set and golden around the edges.


Topping

In a bowl whisk the melted butter, brown sugar and honey.


Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well. Spread evenly over crust. Press down gently using the heel of your hand or an offset spatula.


Return to oven and bake until set and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the pan on the cooling rack. Cut into bars.

Enjoy!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
thanks 4 posting this bars.atleast,now i don't need to buy these frm the shops 4 k lunch box. if u have some more like this recipes pls cld u post it.thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc
rekha.

Laura said...

My pleasure,
And I do have more recipes like that. I will most certainly post them in time.

Cookin' Canuck said...

These look like a perfect high-fiber snack. I love using flax seeds for a quick hit of omega-3s.

Laura said...

So do I. And the kids love it because it "doesn't taste healthy"

Related Posts with Thumbnails