Aug 16, 2009

Dried Fruits and Walnut Roulade


This is a dessert that comes courtesy of my mom. She always makes this roulade when she comes to visit. She makes 7 or 8 of them and I keep them in the freezer cutting up only as much as we need.
We all love it. The fact that there is no dough, and the fruits and nuts prevail in this dessert or(energy roulade ) like my mom likes to call it makes it the perfect snack or breakfast on the go.
This is best served cold straight from the freezer. My boys call it " just like ice cream". Funny I know. But it tastes, even better.
Of course my mom made 7 roulades this time, and I had to measure everything. My mom cooks and bakes without quantities. And also I figured out the quantities need it for only one roulade. Not everybody has a family as big as mine.


Ingredients.

4 oz....................... dried mixed fruits ( apples, peaches,pears, apricots,prunes, figs) thats the combo that came in my bag, but any combination would work. Find your favorite. Deiced.
2 oz....................... dried cranberries. Deiced.
5 oz....................... dried apricots. Deiced.
6 0z...................... walnuts. Roughly deiced.
2........................... large eggs.
1/2 cup................. granulated sugar.
1/2 cup................ butter ( 1 stick, unsalted)room temperature
1............................ wafer sheet ( 18 1/2 by 11 1/2 inches) they vary in size so if yours are smaller use 2 wafers.


Start by roughly deicing the walnuts.


Deice all the mixes fruits, add the cranberries, deice the apricots. Mix them all in a large mixing bowl. Add the deiced walnuts as well.


In a heavy pot mix the sugar and eggs.


Place on the stove on the lowest heat and cook stirring continuously, until all the sugar is dissolved.


Add the dried fruits and walnuts and cook stirring continuously for about 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and let cool to room temperature.


Place the wafer sheet between damp paper towel, for 3 to 4 minutes. This will help soften the wafer sheet so it can be rolled.


When the fruit mixture has reach room temperature add the stick of butter and mix well. I find that using your hands works best for this particular mixture.


Place the wafer sheet with the smooth side up(that will ensure that the nice side will show when rolled up) on a sheet of tin foil a little larger then the wafer. Spread the dried fruit mixture using s sturdy flat spatula, leaving about 2 inches unfilled along the longest side further away from you.


Roll the wafer jelly roll style, with the help of the tin foil.


Wrap the roulade in the tin foil and place in the freezer for 2 hours.


Cut into 1 inch thick slices. Serve as dessert, snack or breakfast on the go.

Enjoy!


Note. If you use dried pineapple, the fruit mixture will be much sweeter. If you like sweet thats OK. But otherwise I don't recommend it.

14 comments:

Citronetvanille said...

Looks delicious. It's almost like a strudel, except for the dough part. Love the colors!

Rachel J said...

so compact and delish! I would most certainly love to grab one of these for breakfast ;D

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
this looks so yummy.cld u pls tell me where can i get these sheets(brand name).btw i made mocha biscottis.they came out good,but it was slightly hard, i think it must be my oven temp.k enjoyed his with hot choc.thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.

Laura said...

Yes, it is like a strudel. Only on the lighter side not having the dough.

Laura said...

Thanks CaptnRachel,
It is really delicious and not very sweet.

Laura said...

Hi Rekha,

It's not your oven, the biscotti are supposed to be hard, they are made especially for dipping in the coffee or any hot beverage.
The wafer sheets are available in any european store.
I got them from" Gateway 7" bakery,it is located in the Gateway Plaza at the Queen and Torbram intersection.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

These look like the perfect dessert to me! :) I haven't seen wafer sheets before, but I'll look for them...

Laura said...

Hello Andrea,
The wafer sheets are available in the european section of the supermarket( depending on were you live). Or any polish,slovenian, serbian or even italian bakery or store.

Cookin' Canuck said...

This looks like a great, original dessert. I have never seen wafer sheets, either (only wafer cookies). I'll have to watch for them and take a trip to the local specialty store.

Laura said...

I'm sure the wafer sheets are available in speciality stores.

Jessie said...

great dessert!

Laura said...

Thank you Jessie.

Angela [YourEverydayMama] said...

These look amazing...I'm not exactly in a melting pot area, so I'll have to do a hunt for these wafers!

Laura said...

Hello EverydayMama,
I'm sure you can find those wafers, they are widely available ( at list in Canada)

Related Posts with Thumbnails