Sep 2, 2009

Baked Spinach and Feta Dip


Movie night in our house is synonym with dips and chips, and yes with popcorn. Of course not everybody agrees on the same thing to snack on during the movie except when I make spinach dip.
Alexander especially loves spinach dip, every time I came from groceries and I have spinach in may bags he gets excited thinking is movie night again and we're having spinach dip. He refuses to understand that spinach can be used in other ways, like..... in mommy's salad. There is just one way to use spinach and that is in a dip. OK. I need to tell you that this dip is not fat free ( sigh) but it tastes delicious.

Ingredients:

1 cup ................................. light mayonnaise made with olive oil ( like Hellmann )
2 cups .............................. fat free sour cream
1 pkg ................................ vegetable soup mix ( like knorr)
500 gr ............................. fresh or frozen spinach
5 ....................................... green onions thinly sliced
1 clove............................. garlic minced
1/2 cup .......................... low fat crumbled feta cheese ( or regular )
1/2 cup .......................... shredded mozzarella cheese ( optional)
Pita cut in triangles to serve with, or, your favorite dippers.

Preheat the oven to 350˚F. In an oven dish mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, vegetable soup mix, onion, garlic and crumbled feta cheese. Set aside.


If you are using fresh spinach, bring a large pot with water to a boil. Add the spinach and boil for 3 to 4 minutes or until wilted. If using frozen spinach make sure is well thawed and chop finely.


Drain the spinach well and chop finely.


Add the spinach to the rest of the ingredients and mix well.


Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese ( I used muenster cheese ) or any other cheese you like and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.


Enjoy!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

not fat free? oh i think i can make an exception for this delightful looking dip. :) i got half the ingredients in my fridge now and plan to get the rest sometime this week and try this. i also love pitas!! looks yummy!!!!

Laura said...

Hi Sabrina,
Well, I thought I should let people know that is not fat free. But I make an exception too... like every time I make it. But I serve it with pita not chips that makes me feel a little better.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

What a great special treat! :)

Laura said...

Thank you Andrea.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
never tried dips before,sounds v simple 2 make.k&i love spinach,i try to incorporate in my indian cooking.shall def give a try.
thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.
ps. made rocky road choc last night,came out g8.k just loves it (anything with choc his fav.)

Laura said...

Hi Rekha,
Yes, I know you made the rocky road, Kenny talked to Cass this morning and told him. I'm happy that he liked it.

Jessie said...

I love that dip, I bet this would be a hit at a party

Laura said...

Hi Jessie,
It gets requested a lot and I have friends over, so I think it would be.

Oana said...

Laura draga si eu ma bucur ca am descoperit site-ul tau si chiar astazi o sa fac niste cinnamon roolls inspirate de reteta ta. Pup si te mai astept in vizita!

Laura said...

Sper sa i-ti placa rolurile, si am sa te vizitez soon.

Mixing Bowl Mama said...

One of my most favourite dips..my kids and I love this and I can't wait to give your recipe a try.

Laura said...

hello Mixing Bowl Mama,
I hope your kids are going to like it and of course you too. Thanks for visiting.

Victor said...

Great appetizer, I might consider making it in the future.

In a small note, I didn't know that Cutco knives are spread to the UK as myself am a Cutco knife salesman. I thought it was only in Canada and US

Laura said...

I hope you will make it. We always have it for movie nights. As for the Cutco knifes I don't know about the UK as I am located in Ontario Canada. The set was a gift from my mom for Christmas last year. I LOVE THEM. I don't think I can work with any other knife but my Cutco chef knife.

Dee said...

I was looking for something like this to make for our next Christmas family gathering (we do Christmas Eve with a tonne of food here). This looks fabulous!

Laura said...

Yes Dee, I hear you,
We do Christmas Eve with lots of food, actually it's all about the food and of course the dessert.

Related Posts with Thumbnails