Aug 13, 2009

Dry Cherry Cream Scones


I love scones, they are great for brunch, or for breakfast with your coffee, or even as a dessert.
Split in two, and filled with a chunky fruit preserve, delicious.
My oldest son Brandon loves the oat ones but Alex and Cass prefer the ones with dry fruit.
Usually I make both kinds at the same time so I make sure that all of them are happy.
So here are the dried cherry scones. If you don't like cherry or prefer other dry fruits feel free to substitute. Dry figs, cranberry, currant, or even dry mango would work great. Or if you are looking for a truly different experience, or a taste to impress, try adding 1/3 cup of diced crystallized ginger to the dry ingredients. So pick your favorite fruit and start baking.

Ingredients.

For the dough:

2 cups............. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup........... granulated sugar
1 tbsp.............. baking powder
1/2 tsp............ salt
2 tsp................ grated lemon zest
6 tbsp.............. cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
1/2 cup............ dried cherry (or any dried fruit)
3/4 cup............ heavy cream ( or double cream)

For the topping

1 tbsp............... demerara sugar ( if not available turbinado or brown sugar would do just fine)
1 tsp................. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp.............. heavy cream ( or whole milk)


Preheat oven to 425˚F. Position rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat.

In a large mixing bowl mix together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.


Using a pastry blender or your fingertips work in the cold butter until resembles coarse crumbs the size of small peas.


Stir in the dry fruit, cherries in my case, pour over the cream and mix with a rubber spatula until the dry ingredients are moistened.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and press together gently until the dough clings together into a ball.
Press it into a flat disc of 1/2 inch thick. You can cut the disc into 6 or 8 wedges. I did 8.


Place the scones onto the prepared baking sheet.

To make the topping mix the sugar with the ground cinnamon.
Brush the scones with the 2 tbsp of heavy cream and sprinkle with the topping.


Bake into the preheated oven for 13 to 16 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm with your favorite fruit preserve or on it's on.
I served it with home made raspberry gem.


Enjoy!

20 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Looks yummy

Melissa Peterman said...

Greetings!

We're thrilled to have you part of our exclusive Food Blog of the Day community! We've created a special badge for you to display proudly on your blog sidebar. I couldn't find your email to send you the access code for the special badge, unique only to Featured Foodista Blogs of the Day, but I want to make sure you get it if you are interested. Please send me an email and I'll send it right away.

Cheers!

Melissa Peterman

melissa@foodista.com
Editor and Community Developer
206.818.5724
www.foodista.com
Foodista- The Cooking Encyclopedia everyone can edit!

Cookin' Canuck said...

Look at those lovely flaky pastry layers. Great job!

Laura said...

Thank you.

janet said...

O.K., I'm drooing! Looks fabulous, I adore cherries.

CheapAppetite said...

Very nice looking scone:) Dry mango scone? That's a good substitute!

Family Cuisine Food And Recipe said...

Yummy ! Yummy ! Thank you very much for sharing. Cheers !

Jessie said...

I still have yet to try your oat scones,now I want to make these as well, I wish I can grab a scone for myself :)

Diana Bauman said...

Love scones, and those look delicious!!!!

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
the scones look lovely,wish i cld have one now with my hot cuppa.thanks for sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.

Unknown said...

These look great. I made similar ones last week, but added chocolate chips - oh so decadent! ;-)

Laura said...

Thank you Janet. I love cherries as well

Laura said...

Hello cheapAppetite, yes dried mango or crystallized ginger.... fabulous.

Laura said...

Hi Jessie,
Now you have a choice..... which one first? I might come up with a new scones recipe.

Laura said...

Thank you Diana.

Laura said...

Thank you Rekha

Laura said...

Chocolate chips! That's a good idea. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I make a similar recipe with dried cranberries. Yum!

Laura said...

Yes, dried cranberries, delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails