Tofu and noodles, is one of my favorite dishes. I love that is very quick to make and taste delicious. Of course you have the added bonus that is high in protein and low in fat. I choose for this dish yellow pepper, onion and scallions but you can substitute with whatever you have on hand or with your favorite asian greens.
- 350 g firm tofu cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp peanut oil or sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 onions cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 yellow pepper cut into thin strips
- 5 scallions ( green onion) cut into short lengths
- 2 tbsp dry sherry
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 1 package of noodles cooked according to manufacturing instructions, to serve with or, steamed rice.
Cut the tofu into small pieces, place into a non-metallic bowl.
In a different bowl mix together the peanut oil, soy sauce and ginger.
Pour over the tofu and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Drain tofu reserving the marinated.
Toss several pieces at the time in the rice flour to coat heavily.
Heat a wok or a frying pan until very hot. Add about 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Working in batches , stir-fry the tofu over medium heat about 1 1/2 minutes, or until golden. Remove from wok, drain on paper towel and keep warm.
Drain any oil from the wok. Reheat the wok add 1 tbsp of fresh oil and stir-fry the onion, garlic and the sugar for about 3 minutes.
Add the yellow pepper, scallions, sherry, orange zest and reserve tofu marinade.
Stir fry for about 1 minute.
Add tofu and stir and toss to heat through.
Serve with noodles or steamed rice.