Sep 3, 2009

Potato-Buttermilk Buns


Yesterday like every day I asked my boys what would they like for lunch. I fully expected to go to the democratic voting system that we employ in this house ( they never agree on the same thing for lunch, dinner or dessert). When Cass ( he's always first when it comes to food ideas) suggested sandwiches. To my surprise they all agreed ( doesn't happen very often ) so I might as well enjoy it ( I thought ). Of course with Cass nothing is what is seems, because he clarified..... Sandwiches on fresh baked buns. He was nice enough to let me choose which buns I wanted to make and bake. He's clever I know! But so am I. I made 16 big buns enough for todays lunch too. I choose the potato and buttermilk rolls not only because the buns are large and many ( from one recipe) but because they are slightly hearty and the buttermilk adds a faint .... tang to them. For those ones I used golden Yukon potatoes, but yams,sweet potatoes ( gives a very nice color), or russet potatoes could be used.
Ingredients:
3 ................................... medium potatoes peeled and cubed ( about 250 g or 1/2 lb)
1 1/2 cups ................................... water (375 ml)
1 1/2 cups ................................ buttermilk ( 375 ml)
5 tsp ......................................... active dry yeast ( 2 packages)
6 cups ...................................... all-purpose flour ( 940 g) plus extra for kneading and dusting the rolls
2 tbsp ..................................... sugar
1 1/2 tbsp ............................. fine sea salt ( or regular salt)
1/2 cup .................................. unsalted butter at room temperature (125 g)
In a small saucepan,combine the potatoes and the 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Pour the potatoes and the water in a large mixing bowl and mash the potatoes.

Stir in the buttermilk and the sugar and let cool to warm ( about 110˚F or 43˚C). If you don't have buttermilk you can make it by combining 3 tbsp of white vinegar into a ( 2 cup )measuring cup and adding enough milk to make 1 1/2 cups, stir and let rest for 10 minutes.


When the mixture reaches the just warm state sprinkle the yeast over and let stand for 10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.


Add the flour, salt and butter.

With your hand or a spatula mix until you get a shaggy mass.


Using a pastry scraper or your hand, scrap the mass onto a floured surface and cover with the bowl and let it rest for 10 minutes.


Knead the dough for 10 minutes (adding flour as necessary not to stick to the surface) until smooth and elastic. Place into an extra large greased mixing bowl turning once to grease top. Cover with cling wrap and tea towel and let rest into a draft free place for 1 hour.


After 1 hour the dough should be double in size.


Punch the dough down and turn onto a very lightly floured surface. Cut in half with a pastry cutter or a very sharp knife. Cut each half into 6 equal pieces for sandwich buns or 8 pieces if you intend to make dinner rolls. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.


To make the buns, roll each pice against the work surface and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You will need 2 baking sheets. Cover the rolls with a tea towel and let rest in a draft free spot for: if you want dinner rolls 20 to 30 minutes are enough, if you want sandwich buns then about 50 minutes.


Preheat the oven to 375˚ F. Dust the buns liberally with flour.


Bake in the preheated oven on separate racks for 20 to 25 minutes. If you have a convection oven you can miss the next step, if not then switch the places of the baking sheets half way thru the baking time to ensure that uniform baking is achieved.


Let the buns cool slightly before serving.


This is Alexander's sandwich.


This is one of the three reasons why I bake so much.

Enjoy!


16 comments:

CheapAppetite said...

Good recipe. I love potato buns. Fresh baked is even better.:) Sounds like you have smart children.

Laura said...

Thank you! Yes they are, very smart especially when it comes to food.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
never had these buns before,sounds interseting.shall give a try.
love&tc.
rekha.

Laura said...

Hi Rekha,
The buns are really delicious, Let me know if you are going to try it.

Cookin' Canuck said...

These buns look so soft and delicious. I truly can't wait to try them.

Laura said...

Thanks C.C.,
Let me know how they come out.

Thas said...

Very interesting nd pretty buns, with potatoes in it.Can't resist trying this..btw u have a grt blog.

Cheers
Thas

thegoodfoodquest said...

Having real trouble finding Buttermilk in the UK. Tried two supermarkets (hate supermarkets) but no luck. I think I need a health food shop. Looked great by the way and I like the way you encourage your children- that's what we enjoy too!

Best
thegoodfoodquest

Laura said...

Thank you Thas. Hope you are going to like it.

Laura said...

I know it's not always available in supermarkets, that is the reason why I listed the method of making it out of milk. Thank for the kind words.

janet said...

I wish I could reach through the screen and eat one!

Laura said...

thanks Janet,
Those lasted exactly 2 days 16 huge buns in 2 days. I had 1 and my hubby had 1 the rest...... and they fought over the last one. I'll made them again on monday, tuesday they are going to have them for lunch at school.

Shauna said...

These look great! I can only imagine how wonderful of a sandwich they make. Those are some smart kids you have there!

Laura said...

Thanks Shauna,
They are smart, especially when it comes to food.

Jennifer said...

I just finished baking these and absolutely love them. Thanks for posting this recipe!!

Laura said...

Thanks for the feedback Jennifer, I'm glad that you tried the recipe, means a lot to me. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails