Sep 23, 2009

Club Sandwich Roll






Left overs. I don't know about your kids, but mine are not very good at eating left overs, they like only fresh made food. My husband says that that's the way I thought them, well...... he is right (but don't tell him). Therefore I have to reinvent my left overs into a new fresh food.
So yesterdays chicken drumsticks became todays club sandwich roll perfect for lunch with a bowl of soup.
     This recipe belongs to one of my favorite canadian chefs Anna Olson. Love her and her recipes and especially her cooking show " Fresh, with Anna Olson". She lives in the Niagara Falls region and in all her shows she promotes the local farms and  fresh markets.
I had changed the recipe a little, to suite the taste of my 3 boys, but if you are interested in the original recipe you can find it here.


Ingredients:


Dough


  • 2 cups                       warm water
  • 1 tbsp                        instant yeast
  • 1 tbsp                        honey 
  • 2 tbsp                        cornmeal
  • 4 1/2 cups                 all-purpose flour ( plus more for kneading)
  • 2 tsp                          fine sea salt
  • 1/3 cup                      extra virgin olive oil


Filling


  • 10                              strips turkey bacon ( or your favorite bacon)
  • 3 cup                         of cooked chicken meat ( I used chicken drumsticks but chicken breast would work  very well)shredded 
  • 1 tbsp                        smoked paprika 
  • 1 tbsp                       dry parsley leafs 
  • 2 1/2 cups                 shredded three cheeses mix or cheddar cheese or your favorite mix.



Dough.

Mix the water, honey, cornmeal together and sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for 10 minutes until foamy.




In the bowl of a stand up mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment combine 4 cups( from the total of 4 1/2 cups of flour), salt, olive oil and the yeast mixture. Knead on low speed until the dough comes together. Add the remaining flour if the dough is sticky and clings to the side of the bowl.
Continue mixing on low speed for another 7 minutes or turn the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic.




Place the dough in lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap and tea towel and place in a draft free place to rise for 1 hour.




Cook the bacon strips. Place on paper towel to drain.




Shred the chicken.




After one hour the dough is ready to be filled.




Roll the dough (on a lightly floured surface) into a rectangular sheet of approximately  18 x 9 inches.
Arrange bacon strips on the dough.



Sprinkle the shredded chicken and the smoked paprika and parsley flakes.



Sprinkle cheese over the top.



Roll the dough up from the short end, and pace into a 10 X 5 inches  greased loaf pan. Cover the dough with  tea towel and let rest for 30 minutes.
bake into a preheated oven of 375˚F for 20 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 350˚F and bake for another 25 minutes.
Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out on a cooling rack.



Serve warm with a bowl of steaming soup or as an appetizer.

Note: if desired when the loaf is taken out of the oven the top it can be " rubbed" with a piece of butter   for a nice shine and to keep it soft.

Enjoy!



26 comments:

Oana said...

Inca o super reteta!

ann low said...

This is amazing! I can never do this :(

Cookin' Canuck said...

Yum! My family would adore this. I love that it's such a versatile recipe.

Laura said...

@ Oana,
Multumesc, este usor de facut si cu spor....

@ Ancoo,

Of course you can, It much easier than it looks.
And the house smells heavenly when you bake it.

@ C.C.
That's the best part of any recipe, when you can substitute the ingredients to suite your taste.

Anonymous said...

this looks oh so good. your so creative. your a wonderful cook and mommy.

Laura said...

Thanks Shmoopiesgurl,
Takes one to know one! Isn't that, what they say.

Lydia C said...

What a great idea!! You are so creative. I would have never thought about doing something like that. It looks perfect.

Laura said...

Thank you Lydia,
But as I said the recipe belongs to Anna Olson, I just "adjusted" it a bit.

Rita said...

WOW and with leftovers, I'm impressed! I would love to have lunch at your place. When my 4 boys were growing up, they also hated leftovers until one day I decided to keep a few days of leftovers, make a salad and set on the counter with a few decor and we would have a buffet just like at the restaurant.Everybody was happy.

Laura said...

Thank you Sage,
You are welcomed any time for lunch!
The buffet it's actually a great idea I should try it next.

Diana Bauman said...

What a great way to use up leftovers! Great and healthy afternoon meal, thanks!

Laura said...

Thank you Diana,
It is a great lunch or snack.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Such a clever idea! I love it. :)

The Klutzy Cook said...

Fantastic idea. I know my family would devour this, thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

@ Penny aka Jeroxie
Thank you, I love it too.

@ The Klutzy Cook
My family did just that. Gone in one hour.

Cristian Borod said...

I like this recipe. Looks great!

Laura said...

Thanks, bucatar maniac
looks great and tastes great.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
'WOW' what a lovely recipe!i know k would just love it.i will try making it on weekend.
thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.

Laura said...

Hi Rekha,
Its great tasting and very versatile, you can fill it with whatever you like.

Lauren said...

Wow! This looks amazing, have been baking a lot of fruit breads recently, but it would be great to make something savoury. It's like a whole meal!

Laura said...

Thanks Lauren,
Paired with a bowl of soup or a salad it's great

Table Talk said...

My daughter likes to read your blog with me, as she is a great little helper in the kitchen, and your recipes are right up her alley...especially this one.--She loves club sandwiches. This will be fun to make together :)

Laura said...

Thank you for the comment, I am so glad that your daughter likes my recipes. There is nothing better than to have a little helper in the kitchen.

My Little Space said...

I can nearly smell it over here. Gosh! Can you bake one more loaf for me...please...? he he...

Laura said...

I would, with pleasure! Are you coming to pick it up?

Olive said...

wow, this bread is making my mouth water...lots of cheese yay! Love it..I wish I can learn to make yummy bread like this,I only know how to make cinnamon rolls.. Thanks for sharing , I will try it next year! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails