Sep 3, 2009

Ham and Herb Scones

If you are a follower of my blog or a frequent visitor, you probably know that I love scones. Easy to make, fast, flaky what's not to love. This recipe I adapted from one of my favorite canadian chefs, Anna Olson. Love her, I love her recipes, the fact that she is using and promotes locally grown produce. Those scones are not sweet but savory. Great for a snack or as an appetizer. In her recipe she is using scallions, but my kids are not very fond of scallions so I used fresh herbs.

Ingredients:

3 cups ......................................... all purpose flour
2 tbsp ......................................... sugar
1 tbsp ......................................... baking powder
1 1/2 tsp .................................... fine sea salt ( or regular salt)
3/4 cup ..................................... unsalted butter cold
1 cup .......................................... buttermilk plus extra for brushing ( about 2 tbsp)
1 cup ......................................... diced ham ( recommended canadian back bacon but any ham will do)
3 tbsp ....................................... chopped fresh herbs ( I used parsley and chives ) or 1 cup chopped scallions ( green onion)


Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mat and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Chop the ham and fresh herbs and set aside.


Using a pastry blender or two knives cut in the cold butter until resembles coarse crumbs.
Stir in the buttermilk, ham and fresh herbs. If you don't have buttermilk on hand this is an easy way to make it. Add 2 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar to an measuring cup and add enough milk to make 1 cup. Stir and let rest for 10 minutes and you have buttermilk. Stir until the dough comes together.


Turn the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using your hand, flatten and fold the dough a few times until you can shape it into a disc.


Cut the disc into 8 wedges.


Arrange the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet and brush with the remaining butter milk.


Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a rich golden color.


Serve warm.

Enjoy!



21 comments:

Momo said...

lovely and delicious!

Laura said...

Thank you Alison.

Unknown said...

Oh Laura..Hi..Lady Sazerac here...these scones look and sound delicious..

I also love scones and your savory as well as other ones are lovely!

I will definitely try your recipes for all kinds...here and will very much enjoy all of your very pretty blog space..

Let's here it for another good Louisiana Canadian connection!

Thanks so much for "inviting" me here!

Lady Sazerac...New Orleans!

Laura said...

Hello Patty,
Thanks for visiting my blog, and of course I'm looking forward to a great friendships.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I haven't had a scone in a long time. In fact, I don't think I have had many savory scones. Your scones look & sound delicious!

Laura said...

Thank you Andrea,

Kim (@ Paper Apron) said...

I've been thinking about scones all week long. It must be in the new fall air that's blowing around the country. These look really tasty.

Laura said...

Thank you KIm,
You are right fall is here already.

Jessie said...

ohhh I love the scones simply because they would go so well with a nice bowl of soup

Laura said...

I know and now that the fall is here soup is on the daily menu.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
i must try these delicious scones.prefer savoury ones than the sweet ones.they look so yummy.
love&tc.
rekha.

Laura said...

Thanks Rekha,
let me know when you make them, if you like them.

Sarah (OC2Seattle) said...

My husband will love these! Can't wait to try, thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

My pleasure Sarah

Cookin' Canuck said...

You are the scone queen! These look amazing!

Laura said...

Thanks C.C.,thats very nice to say, I've been called a rock star for my recipes ( Steve@Rouxbe foods) but not a queen until now.

Dee said...

These look fantastically delicious! YUM!

Laura said...

Hello Dee,
And thanks for visiting my blog.

Momo said...

imi ramasese gindul la ele.le am acum in cuptor,is chiar curioasa ce ieie!

Laura said...

Hi Simona,
<a bucur ca le incerci, sa-mi spui daca i-ti plac:)

Momo said...

mi-au placut tare mult,sa stii!si a papat si mofturila,adica copilu'!multumesc de asa reteta!

Related Posts with Thumbnails