I think that the best think about fall is that the oven gets turned on more ( like every day). I love baking, from bread to cookies to savory foods, everything goes in the oven.
One of my favorite dishes is potato bake. A very versatile dish. I don't think I made it twice the same way ( same ingredients). I always use what I have on hand, or what I'm in a mood for. So, this is "this times recipe", but of course feel free to change it.
- 12 slices turkey bacon diced
- 1 onion diced ( about 1 cup) recommended viddalia
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream ( not low-fat)
- 3 lb. Yukon gold potatoes , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced scallions ( green onion)
- 2 cups grated three cheeses mix ( or your favorite mix of cheeses)
- 1 tbsp of smoked paprika to sprinkle ( optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
Cook bacon until crisp and remove to drain.
Sauté de onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes
Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute more. Add the milk and bring up to a simmer. Remove from heat and season lightly with salt and pepper.
In an oven proof dish spoon a little of the milk mixture and arrange a layer of the sliced potatoes.
Spoon a layer of milk mixture over potatoes and sprinkle with bacon, green onion and cheese. Dollop small amounts of sour cream on top and if desired sprinkle with smoked paprika.
Repeat the layer until all the potatoes are used. Finish with cheese and sour cream.
Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Then remove the cover an d bake for 20 minutes more.
Let cool for 15 minutes before serving.