Oct 24, 2009

Danish Pastry "Flowers"



I love making those for weekend mornings. I usually make the dough on saturday night, and place it in the fridge until morning. The boys love to wake up to the smell of freshly baked danish. Works great with hot chocolate and of course with a cup of steaming coffee.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup warm water
1 tsp granulated sugar
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup cold butter cut up
1 cup milk
2 large eggs fork beaten

1 large egg fork beaten
16 tbsp of raspberry gem, or apricot gem, or lemon curd
16 tsp of cream cheese cut in small thin cubes ( optional)
Icing sugar to dust.

Stir warm water and sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved, sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for 10 minutes.




Combine the flour,granulated sugar,salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.




Pour the milk into small saucepan. Heat and stir on medium heat until very hot. Transfer to a separate medium bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Slowly add the 2 fork beaten eggs.



Add the yeast mixture. Stir.



Add the yeast mixture to the  flour mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms. Place in a separate greased large bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with greased wax paper and tea towel. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.




This is how the dough looks after a night in the fridge.




Divide the dough in 2 portions. Roll out 1 portion on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle of about 8x16 inches. Cut the rectangle into 8 smaller rectangles.



Fold  the corners of each rectangle almost to the center. Press down to make a dent. Arrange on a, greased baking sheet( or lined with silicon mat). Brushed with the 1 egg fork beaten. Repeat with remaining portion of dough.



Place 1 small cub of cream cheese if using, and spoon 1 tbsp of gem on top. I made some with raspberry gem.



And some with apricot gem. Cover loosely  with wax paper and tea towel and let rest for another 15 minutes.



Bake in a preheated oven of 400˚F, for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.



Let cool down on a cooling rack, sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.



Enjoy!

42 comments:

Tania said...

They are pretty and very delicious!

My Little Space said...

Hi Laura, I like the way you made your danish pastry. Saving lots of time in the folding methods. I used to make this using the traditional method. Really time consuming!

Cookin' Canuck said...

How lucky your boys are! These are absolutely beautiful and look so good. I love how you folded them.

Momo said...

ah,iar cu aluaturi...ce bien arata!eu ma feresc de asa ceva,ma lupt cu kilele...si-mi saliveaza toate simturile...

Mardi Michels said...

Oh - ummmm - can you send some of these my way? I am sitting at a conference in Blue Mountain resort and there is no mid morning snack if you can believe that!!!! These are stunning and I bet they taste amazing!

No-Frills Recipes said...

Hi Laura, that looks very yummy.

eldivenlerim said...

Mmmmm, looks so tasty....

ann low said...

This is so pretty. Nice folding and looks so yummy too!

Laura said...

Thank you Tania.

Laura said...

Hi Khristy, I love this method myself really time saving and great results.

Laura said...

Hi C.C.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm lucky too I got great kids.

Laura said...

Hi Simona, si eu ma lupt cu kilogramele, de aceea merg la kick- boxing de 3 ori pe saptamina, altfel.....

Laura said...

Hi Mardi,
If I could I would definitely send some your way, I can't believe you are in a conference.......it's the weekend!

Laura said...

Hello No-Frills,
Thanks for stopping by.

Mardi Michels said...

Sigh. Conferences are always on the weekends for me it seems. My presentation is over now so at least I can relax a bit!

Laura said...

@ eldivenlerim
Thank you:)

Laura said...

Thank you Anncoo.

Laura said...

Hi Mardi,
Relax, and have something to eat. I get really "moody"
When I'm hungry.

lululu said...

wow, i've always bought danish from bakery. hv never thot of making it myself!
u've made baking it at home look so easy and yummy!

Laura said...

Hi lululu,
It is very easy, and very tasty, not to talk about the satisfaction that you made it yourself.

penny aka jeroxie said...

this seems so easy to make! have to try making my own danish soon.

Laura said...

Hello Penny,
I hope you are going to try it, it really is easy

Anonymous said...

These pastries look so good, and what a very timely recipe for me to find! My daughter learned about Denmark this morning and all day has been pretending she is a Danish girl. She will be so happy when I make these for her! Thanks!

Laura said...

My Pleasure. We all want to make our children happy,
I'm glad that I was able to help:)

Divina Pe said...

That looks heavenly. It looks easy when you made it. :)

Laura said...

Thank you Divina Pe
And it is easy, is not difficult at all.

Shelly said...

Looks great! I love your step by step pictures, as always - makes it look at lot easier to make :)

Laura said...

thank you Shelly,
And those are really easy to make.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

These look amazing! I would LOVE to wake up to the smell of them... :)

Anonymous said...

these look lovely and yummy! sorry i havent commented in a while as i have been sick and so was my little boy. you always bake some wonderful food!

Laura said...

Thank you Andrea,
So do my boys, they come downstairs sniffing like little puppies:)

Laura said...

I'm sorry Bri, that you and your son were sick. I hope you are filling better and tat was nothing serious.

Jeannie said...

Hi Laura,

Your danish pastry looks great! I am going to learn how to bake it this weekend! I would do half the recipe since I have only 2 boys to feed. Thanks for the step by step combo pictures!

Rita said...

You are an artist and a pastry chef; looks so good!
Rita

Laura said...

@ jeannie,
My pleasure, let me know how your boys like the danish.

@ Rita,
thanks for the kind comment, like always.

Laura said...

@ jeannie,
My pleasure, let me know how your boys like the danish.

@ Rita,
thanks for the kind comment, like always.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
OH MY GOD, these look so yummmmmmmmmmmmy.i wish i was your neighbour i would be your tester 4 all these mouthwatering dishes.U R AN AMAZING CHEF.
LOVE&TC.
rekha.
sorry couldn't comment ezrlier k isn't feeling well.didn't send him 2 school 4, 2 days.

Laura said...

Don't worry about it Rekha about commenting, I hope Kenny is felling better.
PS. I wish you were my neighbour too.

Jeannie said...

Hi Laura,

I'd just made the pastries and they were a little too thick. I was greedy and add too much jam on the top too, thus there were excess running down the side. Not a very pretty sight but tastewise, they are very soft and delicious! The boys liked it though they did mention that that it's different from those bought from bakeries. Must practise again.

Laura said...

Hi Jeannie. It happened to me too once, when I put to much jam. It depends what kind of gem you use also. I used my own jam which is thicker and doesn't run that much. If it is to "wet" from the jam the pastries don't rise well. Also those are different from the ones from the bakery is true, this is the shortcut when it comes to folding the pastries is not the classic method that takes to long for me (LOL), so pastries don't "rise" as much as the classic method ones. As for the taste, this particular dough is not as sweet, I have a different version of dough that I don't employ, is much sweeter but double the calories, fat and more sugar. Even for my boys(not only me) I'm trying to reduce the sugar as much as I can.

khadijah said...

These look divine.Awesome :)

Laura said...

Thank you Khadijah:0

Related Posts with Thumbnails