Oct 19, 2009

Chicken With Wine And Grapes



This recipe is a great fall recipe, I love the idea of the grapes baked with the chicken. In this recipe I used bone in chicken breast, but any part  of the chicken would work, or a whole chicken. This recipe originated in the Chianti region of northern Italy, where at the end of the summer, grapes mature and hang from the vines in plump bunches. Look for red or black grapes for this recipe.

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts ( bone in and with skin )
1 lemon cut in half
2 tsp of dried sage
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
4-5 small bunches of grapes
2 tbsp of smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
Trim any excess fat from the chicken and rub with the half of lemon.
Mix the sage, paprika, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.



Sprinkle the herbs over both sides of the chicken breasts.





Place in a baking dish. Drizzle with the oil. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. In a small saucepan heat gently the wine and chicken stock.



After 20 minutes, mix 1/2 cup of the wine and chicken stock mixture in the baking pan and baste the chicken breast with  the pan juices. Arrange the grapes around the chicken and bake for 35 to 40 minutes longer basting with the pan juices and adding the rest of the wine mixture as needed it.



Continue basting the chicken and grapes with the pan juices and bake until golden brown and the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked. ( that depends on your oven).



Serve with your favorite side dish.

Enjoy!

27 comments:

Oana said...

Puiul tau arata...perfect!

Rita said...

Looks and sounds so good. I also make a recipe with chicken and green grapes and we love it.As soon as I get back to my kitchen I want to try this.
Rita/Sage

Laura said...

Thanks Oana,
Cum a fost concediul tau?

Laura said...

Hello Rita,
My family loves it, I got sweet grapes for this particular recipe and I used San Leonino Chianti wine.

Divina Pe said...

This chicken looks really great. Just look at the flavorful skin. This is a must try recipe.

Laura said...

Thanks Divina,
It's relatively easy to make and very flavorful.

Diana Bauman said...

Lovely recipe! Will have to try adding grapes in, sounds great!

Mardi Michels said...

Great recipe - do you think you could make this is a slow cooker?

Anonymous said...

The chicken sounds delicious! I love the pairing with grapes!

Laura said...

Thanks Diana.
It does taste great.

Laura said...

hello Mardi,
I'm not sure about the slow cooker, i never tried it, burt I don't see why not.

Laura said...

Hello 5 Star Foodie,
I love the chicken paired with grapes and wine as well.

Cookin' Canuck said...

This is a great idea! I love your use of smoked paprika, which is one of my favorite spices.

Laura said...

Hi C.C;
Smoked paprika and sweet paprika are my favorite spices. I use those in every dish I can get away with :)

lululu said...

my husband doesnt like his savory dish having any sweetness. but I DO!!!!
i think i'm gonna change him by making this dish just bcos the wine addition! :D

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
it looks&sounds gr8.never paired it with grapes before.it really looks yummy.
love&tc.
rekha.

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

wow this looks gorgeous the colors and I could almost taste this...nice post!

Laura said...

@ Lululu,
I hope you are able to change your husband's mind.

@ Rekha,
I hope your going to try it.

@ pegasuslegend,
Thank you, I love the color as well.

ann low said...

Thank you for sharing. I always love food to go with fruits.

Kasha said...

So delightful! Your recipes are so unique and delicious!
www.grubandstuff.blogspot.com

Conor @ HoldtheBeef said...

I love the baked grapes! I've had them when friends have cooked for me before, but I never remember to do it myself. I'm so happy that grape season will be coming soon!!

My Little Space said...

Oh boy, this looks so inviting! Can I join in? he he...

Tania said...

This recipe is very interesting, I love it!

Laura said...

Thanks Ancoo,
So do I, I think fruits should be used more often in savory dishes not only veggies.

Laura said...

Hello Kasha, Thanks for your kinds words.

Laura said...

Hi Connor,
I'm glad I reminded you of the baked grapes, I don't know where you live but for us the season is here.

Laura said...

You are welcomed in "my little space":)

Related Posts with Thumbnails