Dec 2, 2009

Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies




Christmas is almost here, yay! Everywhere you look decorations are up, and a festive atmosphere is  in the air. You can find Santa at every mall, which are swarming with people buying presents.
Therefore the festive baking it has been on my mind lately. I don't start baking festive cookies until december. The first festive cookie this year, is one of Brandon's favorite cookies: the lemon cream cheese cookies with lemon icing. Those cookies are very soft and with a refreshing lemon flavour, the glaze is optional but makes for a more festive look.

Ingredients:

1 cup of butter or hard margarine ( I used soya margarine, my butter was in the freezer :( when i decided to make the cookies)
1 cup of soft brown sugar
 4 oz cream cheese (half of block cut lengthwise )
2 eggs( each of them lightly beaten)
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
 The zest from one lemon.

Lemon glaze

2 cups of icing sugar
4 tbsp of lemon juice

Silver cachous to decorate ( if desired)

Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Grease 2 large baking sheets or line with baking paper.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, cream cheese, butter or margarine.




Until light and fluffy.





Add the eggs one by one mixing well after each addition. Sift the flour and baking soda in a different bowl. With the paddle attachment or with a spatula stir in the flour mixture. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.



Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets ( about 40 of them) making sure they are well spaced.



Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes rotating baking pans half way thru the cooking time to ensure uniform baking.




Let the cookies cool on the baking pan for a few minutes before removing to cooling rack.

To make the icing:

Place the icing sugar and lemon juice in a heat proof bowl over a pot with simmering water. Stir until smooth.




 Remove from heat. Keep the bowl over the pot with hot water wile dipping the cookies in the glaze.



Place the cookies on the cooling rack for the glaze to harden.




 You can decorate with some silver cachous for a more festive look. I only decorated a few of them.




Enjoy!

Variation to this cookies. Substitute the lemon juice and lemon zest with orange juice and orange zest for orange cream cheese cookies.

33 comments:

Miranda said...

What a great cookie...This is so flavorful!

Laura said...

Thank you Miranda:)

Federica Simoni said...

wow Laura che meraviglia! bravissima!

Laura said...

Thank you Federica!

Jenn said...

i love lemon! can you be my mommy and bake for me everyday? ha ha!

Laura said...

I would love a daughter, I have only boys! So, when are you moving in????

Drick said...

good golly molly - those are beautiful and I bet your boys can pack them away in a flash ...hey, nice touch on the falling snow - might be the only I see this season...

Laura said...

Thanks Drick, We don't have snow here yet, and I live in country where half of the year the ground is frozen (LOL)

Rita said...

I can almost taste them; thye are lovely!
Rita

Laura said...

thank you Rita:)

Jessie said...

very pretty cookie! I love the glaze and the decoration

lululu said...

The little silver cachous do make the lovely cookies look very christmas!

Laura said...

Thank you Jessie:)

Laura said...

Yes lululu, I think so too:)

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

well I know these are great by the ingredients...will be on my christmas cookies list and I love the new snow falling so cool!! and Tree!!!!! awesome :)

Jeannie said...

I love your new blog skin! So festive! And delicious looking cookies. I like anything with cheese. This got to be good.

Divina Pe said...

Fabulous. Just perfect for the occasion. I love the snow flakes on your site. :D

Momo said...

ha,ce coincidenta,la amindoaua ninge pe blog!superba aroma de lamiie a prajituricilor,o ador si deja parca e sarbatoare!

Laura said...

Thanks Claudia, I love the snow falling as well:)

Laura said...

Thank you Jeannie, And yes the cookies are delicious.

Laura said...

Thanks Divina:)

Laura said...

Hi Simona,
Luna decembrie este o lunga sarbaroare:) hugs and kisses.

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
they look so gr8& my fav ingr-lemon.shall make it soon.like the mini tree&the snowflakes.really cool.thanks 4 sharing.
love&tc.
rekha.

Cookin' Canuck said...

How pretty! I really do love lemon cookies and bars - they always make me feel that Christmas is right around the corner.

Laura said...

Hi Rekha, lemon it's my favorite ingredient as well.

Laura said...

Thanks C.C.
It feels that way for me too.

Arlene Delloro said...

I love lemon cookies...and cream cheese lemon cookies I can only imagine are better. I'll be trying these soon.

Laura said...

Thank you Arlene, The cream cheese is keeping those cookies very soft for days I if they last this long (LOL)
thank you for visiting my blog.

Anonymous said...

Laura! It's me, Joseph's mom. This recipe is amazing and I must try today. So simple and uses ingredients one would always have on hand. We are putting up the tree today and baking xmas cookies is always a tradition when putting up the tree. They can put up the tree and I will eat the cookies! Seems fair to me!

notyet100 said...

ummm yummy send them over for my event Its time to jingle again at asankhana btw even my son takes in terst in cooking,..:-)i goona try these soon,..thy look so yum,..

Laura said...

Hi Maria, I'm glad to hear from you. Thank you for the kind words. We already put up the tree. I made frosted crescents for the occasion I will post the recipe soon:)

Laura said...

Thank you notyet100. I would send some over to you but unfortunately the cookies are all gone.... Three boys... need I say more?

notyet100 said...

Hi Laura,thanks for the sweet gesture i would be really happy with a pack of these ,but i was asking u to send them for my blogosphere eventheres the link with the details

http://asankhana.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-can-still-remember-how-every-christ.html
regrdss
notyet100

Related Posts with Thumbnails