Dec 9, 2009

Chocolate Banana Cupcakes




I love everything that has banana in it. At least twice a week I make banana bread or chocolate banana bread or banana brownies, you get the idea..... I'm the only one that eats bananas in our house, and because I buy organic ones they don't last to long so I have bananas for baking. The boys don't eat bananas but they sure love banana brownies.
Yesterday afternoon I had about 4 bananas that were on the way of going bad so brownies  was the choice for 2 of them, but I had 2 left so I decided to bake some chocolate banana cupcakes. OK. don't think we were going to eat all of those bake goods. The cupcakes I decided to send them to my husband's work for his colleagues, as a morning treat next to a cup of coffee. We just had the first snow storm of this winter and I'm sure that the drive to work was brutal, so everyone could use a pick me up.

Ingredients for 18 cupcakes

1 cup of whole-wheat flour
1 cup of all-purpose flour
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 tbsp pure cocoa
1/2 cup of unsalted butter room temperature
1 cup of granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 large very ripe bananas mashed
1/4 cup milk
1 cup of bittersweet chocolate chips
1 cup of walnuts chopped

For people with nut allergy, you can omit the walnuts, if you would like some crunch in it I recommend for this particular recipe a cup of a high fiber cereal.

Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Line the standard muffin tins with paper liners ( 18 of them).
In a large bowl mix both flours, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa.




In another mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar on high speed until creamy ( about 5 minutes) scraping down the  bowl as needed it. Add the eggs one of the time beating well after each addition ( scrapping down the sides of the bowl as needed it).




With the mixer on low speed add the bananas and mix well. Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk( starting and ending with the dry ingredients)




Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips by hand.



Spoon the batter into the cups filling each about two-thirds full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.




Cool the cupcakes on the wire rack.






Enjoy with a cup of coffee!

This recipe I adapted  with just small modifications from The Golden Book of Chocolate.

Other banana recipes you might be interested in.

Banana Walnut Brownies
 Classic Sour Cream Banana Bread with Walnuts

38 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

wow these look terrific, love the combo in these muffins, they must have spelled fabulous baking!

Rita said...

Those used to be my boys favourites when they came home from school. your recipe gives me the urge to make these again when they come to visit at Christmas; wonder if they remember them.

Laura said...

Thank you Claudia,
You are right, the smell in my house while baking those was amazing:)

Laura said...

Hello Rita,
I hope you do make them, I'm sure they'll remember it.
I remember all the great treats my mom used to make for us when we were kids ( my brother and I). I love them now just as much as I did then, along with the great memories:)

Anonymous said...

hi laura.
i can't make up my mind which 1 to make first.whenever we go to starbucks k must have banana choc cake that's his fav.they look so scrumptous.the storm was bad we had no power for 2 hrs,thank god it finally came.thanks 4 sharing.
take care.
rekha.

notyet100 said...

mmmm good ones,..;-)

Laura said...

Hi Rekha,
I had no idea that you guys were without power. I'm glad that is working now. Soon I'm going to post the chocolate banana cake as well, probably Kenny will like that even better :)

Momo said...

mmm,ce cremoase trebuie ca sunt!trebuie sa fac si eu ceva azi,nu se mai poate!salutari si pupici!

MaryMoh said...

I love the fragrance of banana in cakes. With chocolate added, these must be very delicious. Great for my afternoon tea with friends.

Laura said...

hello Simona,
Sint cremoase si foarte gustoase. Hugs and kisses:)

Laura said...

Thanks Mary,
Those work perfect with a cup of tea or coffee:)

Laura said...

thanks notyet100:-)

The Chocolate Priestess said...

I was wondering what you meant by chocolate -- chips or cocoa. I'm a fan of both myself in muffins and now I can add bananas as well.

Laura said...

Yes, meant both. I love cocoa especially. It was not in the original recipe so I added it just for more chocolate flavour :)

Kelly said...

Those look so good! The basics always seem to turn out the best--the chocolate addition is a must for me. Do you ever frost these? Would that be overkill? I just love frosting. Great recipe! Your photos are terrific as well--and your site is all festive. . . very nice!

Laura said...

Thank you Kelly,
You know what, for a more festive cupcake I would definitely frost those, I would probably go for Martha Stewart's chocolate buttercream frosting is one of the best....:-)

Anonymous said...

These cupcakes sound absolutely scrumptious with banana and chocolate!

Mardi Michels said...

Lucky hubby! I love this flavour combination. Though I just tried chocolate avocado cupcakes for the first time today and they were pretty great too...

Drick said...

these are great muffs - aren't you glad for organic bananas....makes you have to use 'em up...keep it up

cheapappetite said...

I love banana bread. But I never tried banana brownie. It sure sounds yummy! Chocolate and banana goes well together. Thanks for sharing.

Cheah said...

Haven't made banana cupcakes before, only muffins. Will certainly try out this one, looks simple enough.

Laura said...

Thank you Natasha:)

Laura said...

Chocolate avocado, sounds very interesting....:)

Laura said...

Hi Drick,
Yes I'm glad for organic bananas, but i sure bake more....:-)

Laura said...

My Pleasure cheapappetite:)

Laura said...

I hope you do Cheah,
thodse are very simple to make:)

Divina Pe said...

I always love the combination of bananas and chocolates. They're calling my name now.

penny aka jeroxie said...

brilliant. So simple but totally delicious.

Laura said...

So do I Divina, so do I. Chocolate and banana.... heaven:)

Laura said...

Thanks Penny, the simple recipes turn out to be the best:-)

janet said...

those look moist and delicious!

Laura said...

Thank you Janet:)

Unknown said...

Bananas and chocolate are always perfect together and as cupcakes even better!

Laura said...

Thank you Rochelle:)

tracieMoo said...

Wow, chocolate and banana sounds good to me. You've a really great blog. It's good to have stumbled here :)

My Little Space said...

Hi Laura, almost forgotten to make a reply! So sorry! Still lots of things to catch up at home after a few days away. So good to be back again. And thank you very much for the warm welcome. It's definitely great to hear from you. So, how's everything getting on? More cleaning up to do !
NOW, I would love these little things on my table right at this moment! I need a break... hehe... How about a cup of cappucino! Come & join me. We have a nice chat(if you're free)! haha...

Laura said...

Hi Kristy,
Glad to hear from you. very busy before the Holidays. Will chat soon:)

Laura said...

Yhank you for visiting Tracie moo:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails